"For the Church, evangelizing means bringing the Good News into all the strata of humanity, and through its influence transforming humanity from within and making it new.....The purpose of evangelization is therefore precisely this interior change, and if it had to be expressed in one sentence the best way of stating it would be to say that the Church evangelizes when she seeks to convert, solely through the divine power of the message she proclaims, both the personal and collective consciences of people, the activities in which they engage, and the lives and concrete milieu which are theirs."
(Evangelii Nuntiandi - Num.18)
The mission of the Office of Youth Evangelization is to bring the Good News of Jesus Christ into the lives of the youth and young adults of the Catholic Archdiocese of Edmonton -- into their families, schools, communities and, through the workings of the Holy Spirit, to convert them and society by the power and message of the Gospel itself.
Evangelization guides all ministry with them: all the relationships, components and programs must proclaim the Good News and invite the young people into a deeper relationship with Jesus Christ and to empower them to live as His disciples.
Associate Director: Andrew Papenbrock
Phone: 780-469-1010 ext. 2238
Administrative Assistant: Maria Baca
Phone: 780-469-1010 ext. 2247
Or email using the Contact Us button above
What We Do
This office is a resource where materials can be accessed to help develop and maintain both initial and ongoing youth and young adult evangelization in your parish or setting.
- We offer formative training and retreats for people involved in this ministry.
- We supplement your parish ministry by organizing Archdiocesan-wide events like the Archdiocesan Youth Rally, Word Youth Day and we often partner with other Archdiocesan offices and parishes/groups to offer events and opportunities to all people.
- We are members of the Canadian Catholic Youth Ministry Network (CCYMN) and the Western Canadian Association of Catholic Youth Ministers (WCACYM) in order to be in contact with other ministry coordinators across Canada and to benefit from shared ideas and resources.
- We work with, or assist you in organizing an event you are planning.
- We will come to your parish or organization to promote youth and young adult evangelization and present to Pastoral Councils, parishioners, groups, etc.
- Discipleship - To empower young people to become disciples of Jesus Christ who witness to their faith and work for justice, peace and human dignity.
- Connection- To draw young people to responsible participation in the life, mission and work of the faith community.
- Gifts and Growth -To foster the total personal and spiritual growth of each person.
Components to help achieve these goals and meet the needs of young people:
- Advocacy - recognizing the need of young people and working on their behalf to change policies or to change ways of thinking while also empowering young people to speak out
- Catechesis - directing and helping young people to actively better understand their Catholic faith, the teachings of the Church and the Scriptures
- Community Life - offering social activities, in various settings, young people can develop relationships that will help them in their faith journey and in their life journey. Promotes greater involvement in parish life
- Evangelization - enabling young people to uncover and name the experience of God who is active and present in their lives
- Justice and Service - giving an opportunity for young people to become aware of the needs in their communities and to build a social consciousness that empowers them to act
- Leadership Development - preparing young people (and adults) to lead in schools, the community and in the church by connecting with families and schools to produce responsible members of the community
- Pastoral Care - promoting the idea of prevention in the lives of young people and offering guidance to those in need and providing support for young people and families while drawing from the strengths of the members of the community
- Prayer and Worship - giving the opportunity for young people to develop a strong and meaningful prayer life through youth ministered masses, prayer services, reflection, and by participating in the sacraments